Lemon Lime

Gossip, Gossip, and more Gossip

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

400 years without a comb

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LottaBody

PostSubject: 400 years without a comb   Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I was searching youtube and ran across this video. It was very interesting and watching it made me glad to be natural. Like most, when we were younger we didn't control what our mothers did to our hair. I had jheri curls, braids, relaxers etc lol. Around middle school, my mom stopped doing my hair all together. Not knowing how to care for relaxed hair properly, my hair fell out drastically. To the point where I had to get it cut off like a boy and imagine being 10/11 years old with a short fade. I was teased at school and even at home from my brothers. I remember after at a church function, my siblings, cousins, and I were waiting for the church van to take us home. Mind you, it was only two females out the bunch, my cousin and myself. When the deacon arrived he was joking with us and said something like, there's one girl (referring to my cousin) and 5 boys. Ouch! True, I had a short cut, but I was wearing a dress.

So in my mind, I started believing that I did look like a boy. For a long time, I was bothered by my looks. As my hair started growing, my mom started putting little ponytails in my hair. I had a baby sister at the time, whose hair was just as long as mine. Once again, I got teased in my neighborhood for having the same amount of hair as baby. So my hair grew out some more and my mother started put it in two cornrows. I actually like that hair style because it made my hair appear to be longer. As I was gaining length, why oh why, did my mother made me get a jheri curl. Now at this time, jheri curl was long played out. I was teased yet AGAIN. This one girl at my school had curls, but hers were long and she was popular, she didn't get the treatment that I got. With the curls, I did retain a lot of growth, but a lot of times I didn't have the products I needed to make sure the hair was moisturized.

cont'd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LottaBody

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Wed May 26, 2010 10:23 pm

So overtime, it started falling out again. I would always sit in class and just stare at girls hair, especially if it was long. To me, everybody hair was better than mine. So finally, one of my adult family members took my haircare into her hands. She started taking me to the salon and I was getting relaxers again. My hair looked good. I was in the eight grade around this time and in front of the restrooms at school was a mirror that many of the girls would go in front of to check on their hair lol. Mostly the popular girls. So oneday I was in the mirror with my fresh new do and one of the boys was like, you must think you are a pretty girl now. That put my confidence back down. At that point, I became my hair. Whenever my aunt took me to a salon, I would pay close attention to what the beautician was doing. I learned a lot and took my haircare in my own hands. I was determined not to enter high school with bad hair.

I started doing my own relaxers and my hair grew so much. The first time in my life (that I could remember), I felt like I was pretty. My hair was shoulder length and to everyone else, back then, it was considered long or medium length. Either way I was happy. I would spend hours in the mirror doing something to my hair. Whether is was curling it, coloring, etc. Now my family started calling me a prissy girl and not always in a good way. Which I didn't understand because, when I was younger with "bad hair", they made so much fun of me lol. But I was gettng older and didn't care what they had to say.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago, I joined facebook. Some of my old friends from school was finding me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LottaBody

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Wed May 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Almost all of them said something in the likes, you are so pretty now and I remember when you had short hair blah blah blah. So it made me think that wow did they really think I was ugly back then. All my childhood pain came back, I told myself that I can be pretty with short hair and that I don't need long straight hair to be pretty. It's like I wanted to show the world. So I did the unthinkable and cut off all my hair and started from scratch. I was confident with my new look and nobody better not try to tell me otherwise lol. It's like a weight lifted off my shoulders and to this day I am still natural. Watching the video really put me in shock. Honestly I really didn't understand the struggle with black hair, though I had my own, I though it was just my own. Like I stated earlier, I thought everyone hair was better than mine. I'm just glad to say that I'm a natural. I wish all females will put down the relaxers soon, we don't need it. Don't let the media brainwashed you. Hopefully if you watch this video, you will understand where I'm coming from. It's a 6 part youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIErDKjhyg&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
relaxer

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 pm

I do understand where you are coming from, but that was just your experience. you can't tell others what to do because of your struggles.
Back to top Go down
bella

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 am

WOW, I'm a relaxed head and I get relaxers because I like them. Not because the media make it seem that straight is better. Why does every relaxed female have to be brainwashed or trying to look white. that is getting so old.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guru

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Sat May 29, 2010 1:13 pm

I actually enjoyed reading your post. I'm relaxed and yes I agree that people don't really understand the struggles of black hair. Those videos were an eye opener for me. We learn from what our grandmothers, mothers, aunt etc have taught us. They didn't always know the best practices, but we are far more advanced now.
Back to top Go down
LottaBody

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 pm

relaxer wrote:
I do understand where you are coming from, but that was just your experience. you can't tell others what to do because of your struggles.

I think you misunderstood me. That wasn't what I was doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LottaBody

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 pm

bella wrote:
WOW, I'm a relaxed head and I get relaxers because I like them. Not because the media make it seem that straight is better. Why does every relaxed female have to be brainwashed or trying to look white. that is getting so old.

There are a lot of females who think that way. The online community is very small compared to the real world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
saboricua

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Congrats Lotta, I remember when I decided to let my hair go natural. It was in 2006 and now 4 years later I'm glad I stuck it out. Whether relaxed or natural as long as it's healthy is all that matters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the gues

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:00 pm

nappy head bitches
Back to top Go down
saboricua

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:54 pm

the gues wrote:
nappy head bitches

I'm going to guess you're STUPID. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
msain

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:16 am

I was natural for a very short time, but I love my relaxed hair. I probably will never go natural.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 400 years without a comb   

Back to top Go down

400 years without a comb
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1